At the back of the Documentation Centre is a permanent exhibition on the history of Bergen-Belsen, which covers around 1,500 square metres spread over two floors. The exhibition focuses on the POW camps on Lüneburg Heath between 1940 and 1945, the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp between 1943 and 1945, and the Bergen-Belsen displaced persons camp between 1945 and 1950.
The current permanent exhibition opened in 2007. It includes written documents, video interviews, memoirs, diaries, drawings, photographs, and objects, all of which are placed in a historical context. More than 400 former concentration camp prisoners and around 50 former POWs contributed to the exhibition by lending or donating objects and participating in interviews. This has led to the creation of a veritable archive of memory which revolves around the perspective of the victims.
The exhibition aims to restore the voices, faces, and individual stories of the former concentration camp prisoners and POWs as much as possible. The three sections of the exhibition are therefore framed by a prologue and an epilogue. The prologue features excerpts from interviews with Bergen-Belsen survivors who talk about their everyday lives before their persecution. Between the video stations are photographs of people who died in the camp – photos in which they are surrounded by their families, heading to work, spending time with friends. In the epilogue, survivors talk about the how their persecution affected their lives after the liberation.
Dates of current and planned special exhibitions.
Archive of previous special exhibitions.
Information about loanable travelling exhibitions