60 Years – 60 Days. An exhibition on the history of the Bergen-Belsen Memorial
Unveiling of the first Jewish monument, 25 September 1945. Yad Vashem Archive, Jerusalem, The Josef Rosensaft Collection, FA 185-167
Bergen-Belsen has been a site of international remembrance since 1945. Monuments from the post-war period commemorate the over 70,000 people who died here between 1941 and 1945. Exhibitions set up in 1966 and 1990 outlined the history of Bergen-Belsen, but only in the past two decades has detailed research been carried out into the multi-faceted history of this site as a POW camp, concentration camp and displaced persons camp. The results of this research can be seen in the permanent exhibition that opened in the new Documentation Centre in 2007.
Today the Bergen-Belsen Memorial is a place of remembrance, a place where historical research is carried out and historical knowledge is collected and preserved, and it is a place of learning and reflection. Every year, about 300,000 people visit the Memorial and more than 1,000 groups take part in guided tours, study days and projects here.
The Bergen-Belsen Memorial is managed by the Lower Saxony Memorials Foundation which was founded in 2004. As a commemorative site of national and international importance, the Memorial has received regular funding from the German Federal Government since 2009.